LANSING, Mich. (Michigan News Source) – Consumers who bought certain carbon monoxide detectors from Amazon should double check their devices to verify a replacement is not needed.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission warns people about the risk of CO poisoning if using the HECOPRO digital display carbon monoxide detector.  The device was sold via Amazon as ASIN B07T66J7KJ for between $9 – $13.  

MORE NEWS: Second Debate Set for Michigan Governor’s Race

The roughly 4 in by 1 in by 4 inch white plastic detectors feature a digital display and are programmed to start flashing red LED accompanied by a loud alarm pattern when carbon monoxide is detected.

Sensitivity tests initiated by the CPSC found that the detectors failed to sound the alarm when exposed to the preset concentrations of carbon monoxide beyond the safety standards. 

According to the CPSC if a consumer installs a CO detector that does not alert to the presence of carbon monoxide, and the carbon monoxide enters the home, the consumer will not be warned of the presence of this harmful gas, making injury or death very likely. 

Do you support individual military members being able to opt out of getting the COVID vaccine?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from GreatLakesNews.org, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

The CPSC is urging consumers not to purchase or sell these CO detectors and to stop using these and dispose of the products immediately.  Consumers are also encouraged to install new working CO detectors.  If a dangerous product or product related injury occurs, individuals are encouraged to report them on https://www.saferproducts.gov 

Every year in the U.S. more than 150 people perish from accidental, non-fire related CO poisoning associated with consumer products according to the CPSC.