HURON COUNTY, Mich. (Michigan News Source) – The Huron County Sheriff says three duck hunters are safe after being stranded on Saginaw Bay on Friday night.
Huron County Sheriff Kelly Hanson said a hunter contacted dispatch. The hunter said he and two other men were stranded a mile from the access point. The hunter said he and his partners had taken two kayaks and a 14-foot-boat with an outboard motor earlier in the day.
MORE NEWS: Welcome, Passengers. Cherry Capital Adds Flights to New England This Summer.
Hanson said the hunters attempted to return, but the wind was blowing too hard to paddle the kayaks in and the motor quit working.
Deputies from the Huron and Tuscola County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene, along with firefighters from the Caseville Fire Department.
Hanson said all three men were dressed appropriately for the weather and had functioning cellphones so they were able to call for help. Hanson said it’s a good idea for hunters venturing out into the bay to have a back up plan in case something goes wrong.
