LANSING, Mich. (Michigan News Source) – Funding for the Selfridge Air National Guard Base in Macomb County is secure.

On Wednesday, the Democrat-led Michigan Senate approved a House Republican plan that locks in $152 million for runway construction at Selfridge.

MORE NEWS: Cops, Crooks and Co-Ed Lockers: Grand Rapids Drops $262K on “All-Gender” Police Changing Room

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer applauded the bipartisan measure and the efforts of state lawmakers, the Trump administration, and the United States Air Force.

“Today’s funding is a huge bipartisan win for Michigan that will grow our economy and make our country safer. We secured a new F-15EX fighter mission last year, but we needed state funding to ensure the base will be ready for the new aircraft to start arriving by 2028,” Whitmer said. “Today, we landed the plane.”

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle celebrated the win.

State Rep. Jaime Greene (R-Richmond) said Selfridge is a major player in Michigan’s economy and on the global stage.

“The people in our community know just how important Selfridge Air National Guard Base is to Macomb County, but the base is crucial to Michigan’s position in the global economy as well. I worked with House Republicans to advance this issue in March because we could not afford to put this funding at risk,” Greene said.

Senate Majority Leader Winnie Brinks (D-Grand Rapids) said the funding reaffirms the state’s commitment to the servicemen and women of Selfridge.

MORE NEWS: ‘Fight Like Hell’ Whitmer Now Concerned with Healthy Moms and Babies

“This is an investment in both our economy and our national security, and our actions today will ensure that the base is equipped to support the next generation of high-tech, high-powered missions,” Brinks said.