WASHINGTON, D.C. (Michigan News Source) – The J.H. Campbell coal-fired power plant in Ottawa County will remain online for now.
U.S. Secretary of Energy Chris Wright issued an emergency order on Monday which addresses grid reliability as Michigan and other Midwest states power up for the summer months.
MORE NEWS: Detroit Lions Players Join Michigan Push to End Painful Dog Testing
The emergency order, which follows several other orders issued in the last year, directs the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO) and Consumers Energy to ensure that the J.H. Campbell coal-fired power plant in West Olive takes steps to operate and minimize costs. The order expires on Aug. 16.
The Campbell Plant, originally slated to shut down on May 31, 2025, still had 15 years to go before ending its scheduled design life.
Coal plants nationwide are reversing plans to shut down. In 2025, more than 17 gigawatts of coal-powered electricity generation were saved from going offline.
“This emergency order will mitigate the risk of blackouts and maintain affordable, reliable, and secure electricity access across the region this summer,” Secretary Wright said in a press release.
In addition, a Department of Energy Resource Adequacy Report says power outages could increase by 100 times in 2030 if the U.S. continues to take reliable power offline.
